Mormon Archipelago

Friday, December 17, 2010

Disaster and Sorrow

Photo: Don Meyers/Salt Lake Tribune

This morning I was driving to work and saw smoke rising from the Center of Provo. As I got closer I uttered a prayer: "please God, not the Tabernacle!"

Alas, my prayer was not answered the way I would have liked, but I accept that.

I almost titled this post "Unmitigated Disaster" but this disaster is not unmitigated. No one has been injured. The firefighters have served honorably and safely. Wonderful memories remain. But the sadness is piercing and even my normally philosophical heart and mind are asking "why?".

A few years ago the people of Springville had their hearts pierced when one of their historical chapels was razed following an arson. (A suspect was recently identified). There is no reason to suspect arson in the case of the Provo Tabernacle, but whatever the cause, I feel as though I have lost a loved one.

One woman's YouTube video was linked to KSL this morning.

One last note: I had planned for my next post to be a book review of To the Rescue: President Monson's official biography. That will have to wait. In the meantime I should note that President Monson spoke in the beloved Provo Tabernacle many times and I am certain it is a building he loved.